Are you looking to Migrate WordPress Website from old web hosting to another? It could be a mess if you do not know what you are doing or haven’t done WordPress migration before. To make things simple for you when switching from old WordPress Web Hosting to another host we have created this step-by-step guide on How to Migrate WordPress without messing up.
Things to remember before you Migrate WordPress Website to another web host:
- Always take a backup of your WordPress files and Database.
- Save your backup files on your local hard drive or computer.
- Even if you are using any WordPress Migration Plugin, we would still recommend taking a backup from cpanel of your entire WordPress Website.
Methods to Migrate WordPress from old Web Hosting to a new one:
Migrating WordPress using a WordPress Plugin is pretty simple and easy.
One of the best plugins to Migrate WordPress website easily without messing up is the ‘All-in-one WP Migrate’.
We’ll show you how to quickly move your WordPress Website from your old web host to your new host’s WordPress install using All in One WP Migration plugin for WordPress.
Before you get started with the process to Migrate WordPress Website, make sure that you have purchased a new WordPress Web Hosting and your old hosting hasn’t expired.
- Log in to your existing WordPress Website’s Admin area.
- Select “Plugins > Add New” from the left panel in your WordPress dashboard.
- Search for “All in one WP Migration” in the top right hand search field and then click “Install Now”.
- After the plugin is successfully installed then click Activate button to activate the plugin.
- In the Left side panel of your WordPress Dashboard under the Tool look for All-in-One WP Migration and click Export.
- Click Export To and then select the option File because we want to save a backup of the entire WordPress Website on our local computer.
- After the backup process is complete, you will see a popup notification window saying download with the total file size. Click the button to download the file. The downloaded will end with an extension .wpress. Don’t try to change the file name or the extension as it is important for successful WordPress Migration.
The process of creating a backup necessary to Migrate WordPress Website Successfully to a new host is complete and now it’s time to install the backup on the new web host to complete the WordPress Migration Successfully and go live.
- Follow the steps from 1 to 4 on your new WordPress install on your new web host to ensure that you have All in One WordPress Migrate plugin installed.
- In the Left side panel of your WordPress Dashboard under the Tool look for All-in-One WP Migration and click Import.
- Drag the .wpressfile that you had downloaded from your old website into the drag and drop window to start the import process.
- Once the importing is complete, click ‘Continue Button‘. Since this is the first time install on your new web hosting, you don’t need to worry about anything being overwritten.
- Once you see the confirmation popup window that your import is successful, logout of the WordPress dashboard and then log back in. It is necessary since we’ve imported all the data from the old website, which includes the old WordPress admin password.
- On the left side panel, select Settings > Permalinks and then click Save Changes. Choose the option as shown in the image below.
- The process to migrate WordPress Website is complete now! Access your new website by typing the domain name to check if all looks fine on your website.
- 99% of the times your website will be all same and work life before. However, 1% chance that the download files or database may get corrupt while overwriting. In that case you can re-install the plugin and start the migration process again.