You can then analyze the report and work on the suggestions to improve the page loading times of your website. Website Speed is a ranking factor and Google counts it when ranking a website in SERPs, so it is always advised to perform website speed test at regular intervals to make improvements.
According to Google, Site Speed test reports are based on three factors:
- Page-load time which means how long your web pages take to load when accessed.
- Execution Speed or load time of any discrete hit, event, or user interaction that you want to track (e.g., how quickly images load, response time to button clicks).
- How quickly the browser parses the document and makes it available for user interaction.
Analyzing these reports generated by free tools for Website Speed test we can figure out the problem areas and work towards making improvements to enhance a website’s speed.
List of Free Tools for Website Speed Test
1. Page Speed Insights – This is a free tool for Website Speed Test offered by Google that helps you analyze the problems on your web pages and fix them to improve the speed of your website.
This tool is pretty simple to use. All you have to do is simply input a website’s URL that you want to analyze and hit the Analyze button and within minutes it will generate a speed test report of your website.
You can follow the suggestions and make improvements accordingly.
2. Pingdom Tools – The second tool on the list of free tools for website speed test is the Pingdom.
This is a free tool to measure the speed of a website. Simply enter a URL to test the page load time, analyze it, and find problems.
With this tool you can test the speed of a website from various locations which is helpful to identify the load times of a web page when accessed from a particular location.
You can test your website from Japan, United Kingdom, San Francisco, Sydney, Sao paolo and Washington DC.
This tool is designed for website speed optimization by identifying what about a webpage is fast, slow, too big, and heavy etc.
3. GT Metrix – The third tool on the list of free tools for website speed test is GT Metrix. It is a very popular tool to measure the speed and performance of a website and among the widely used website testing tools.
It provides you insights on how well your website loads and actionable recommendations on how to optimize it.
It is developed by Gt.net as a tool for their managed hosting customers to easily determine the performance of their websites.
Among its most powerful features are the page speed score and YSlow Scores that provides performance grades from A to F, A being top notch score while F being the lowest score.
4. Web Page Test – An advanced tool among free tools for website speed test which was created by Patrick Meenan, a Chrome engineer at Google and it is an open source tool.
The beauty of this tool is that you can run free website speed tests from multiple locations around the globe using real browsers (IE and Chrome) and at real consumer connection speeds.
One of the benefits of using Web Page Test tool is that is has supported HTTP/2 for a long time which makes it great for testing the true performance of a WordPress website over SSL with multiplexing, parallelism, etc. all being taken into account.
Test results will provide you with rich diagnostic information including resource loading waterfall charts, Page Speed optimization checks and suggestions for improvements.
You can run simple website speed test or advanced test.
Few Other Powerful Tools for Website Speed Test
5. Web Page Analyzer – One of the most popular among the free tools for website speed test. This free tool for analyzes a website’s speed, size, and composition.
The script calculates the size of various elements on a web page and sums up each type of web page component.
Based on the analysis of various elements and components of a web page, script then offers suggestions on how to improve page load time.
This free tool provides insights on how long a website takes to load for different connection speeds.
Web Page Analyzer tool can also provide you with a breakup of your speed test data that displays the size and a comment for each.
It also provides comments and recommendations on 11 specific aspects of a website’s performance and also displays the areas where your website performs well.
6. KeyCDN Website Speed Test – It is an easy to use to tool to determine the overall speed and performance of your WordPress website.
You can select from 14 different test locations of their strategically located data centers around the globe in order to better determine the overall download time of your assets from that particular location.
You have both the options to run a private or a public test in which you can then later share or bookmark for future reference.
The speed test report provides great insights on the request methods (GET/POST), HTTP status codes (such as 200 OK or 404), file types, content size, wait/receive time, total download time, and the overall number of HTTP requests generated on your site.
7. DareBoost – If you are looking for an advanced website speed test tool then go for Dare Boost as it provides website speed testing, web performance monitoring, and website analysis in one service.
Although, it’s a premium tool for website speed test but it provides 5 free speed test reports per month.
8. Site Relic – A completely free tool for website speed test that is gaining popularity pretty quickly.
It allows checking a website’s load time on both mobile and desktop from 9 different locations.
It also provides information about TTFB (time to first byte) across 9 different locations at the same time.
Separate Reports from different locations allow webmasters to see the load times, page size, TTFB, number of requests, request counts by type, and request counts by response code which are very helpful in making improvements to the website speed.
9. Dotcom Monitor – Dotcom monitor offers a lot of free tools out of which one very useful tool is for website speed test.
You can test the speed of a website from 25 different locations and you can also choose between different browsers such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, safari etc.
Website speed test report includes several data points such as speed summary by location, 10% of the fastest and slowest elements, breakdown my host elements such as DNS, Connection, SSL, Number of Requests, First packet, and Download.
10. Firstsite Guide – is a very useful tool for bloggers and web masters and especially to those who are new to blogging and online presence.
This tool helps you discover important info about any blog or website. Analyze technologies they use and how well they perform.
Simply, type the URL of the website you want to analyse and within minutes you have all the information on your screen.
Find the right tools for Website Speed Test to achieve great results
If you want to rank higher in search engines then you need to speed up your website and for that you need tools for website speed test. Above is a list of latest and some of the most advanced tools for analyzing the speed of a website and find the bottlenecks.
Speeding up your website should be your first priority as Google loves websites that provide faster loading pages for a seamless user experience. Go ahead and start checking the tools for website speed test that we have mentioned in the list as it will definitely help you improve your website’s speed.
Advanton’s Free solutions enable over 10000 small businesses every month to generate more revenues and income in over 120 countries. Get Started Free!