A collection of interconnected web pages is known as a website and the process of creating web pages incorporating visual design elements such as graphics, images, and text is known as Website design. A website can have a single or multiple web pages and since the mid of 2010, websites have become responsive in structure that not only supports desktop browsers but also tablets and mobile devices. While the terms web design and web development are often used interchangeably, web design is technically a part of web development process. Web design deals with the visual aspects of a web application which is known as the front-end and has nothing to do with programming, coding or databases. Website design cost varies according to the type of website a person or a business owner needs.
What does a Web Designer do?
Types of Websites & Website Design
There are mainly two types of websites:
Static websites are those that do not run on databases and pages are not generated dynamically when requested by a browser. In a static website a unique file is stored for every page and the same content is sent to the browser without any changes. Usually, this content is created once at the time of website design and to be updated manually by working on the HTML, CSS scripts. The main advantage of a static website design is that they are simpler to host as they do not require database server or a web server to execute server-side scripts as in the case of dynamic scripts. Another advantage is they need less server side resources and are not exposed to external security threats or loopholes.
Dynamic Websites run on a database and a web server to dynamically serve pages when a request is sent by a browser. Most common Dynamic website example is a WordPress website. These websites use server-side code to generate web pages but the actual output is in HTML format and not the actual code. Most widely used scripting language to develop dynamic websites is PHP and MySQL database. However, other technologies such as Python, Ruby on Rails, Node JS, have also picked up in recent years due to the security loopholes in PHP. These days dynamic websites are created using a Content Management System such as WordPress or Drupal and these solutions also offer a WYSIWYG editors.
Dynamic websites have a unique advantage, you can design websites that are interactive and users can signup, download and upload files on a server. However, this leaves dynamic websites equally vulnerable to security threats and loopholes that need to be addressed when working with a dynamic website.
What are the main Components of a Website Design?
A website is made up of many components such as web pages, logo, icons, graphics, HTML, CSS, server-side code, database etc.
One of the main aspect of a good website design is navigation, always keep your navigation menu clean and simple for users to navigate through the pages of your website.
Here’s a list of elements that make up a good website design and elements that work in the back-end ensuring that your website is accessible to the users such as web hosting.
- Homepage – A homepage is one of the main elements of a website as it can create that first impression or break your image. Design a homepage which is clean, beautiful and displays essential information about your business clearly and in an elegant manner.
- Responsive Layout – According to a research report by Statista, by 2020 the number of mobile phone search users would reach 221 million compared to 207.6 million in 2018. These numbers clearly suggest that your website design needs to be responsive, so that people can easily access it on their mobile phones and navigate through the pages easily.
- About Us page – Design this page to incorporate a few images of your office, shop or store. Provide a short description about your business, work and experience and include your professional profile if it’s a personal website.
- Services/Products Page – Mention all the services clearly that you offer and if you have any minimum fee or charges, do mention it as well. Customers love to do business with companies that are transparent about pricing. If you have any products, incorporate the images appropriately and make sure that images are clear and high resolution.
- Contact Us Page – This is the page where you will display your contact information such as Location, Phone and email. Make sure that your location/address, phone and email are correct. Recheck them before you make the website live.
- Call to Action – Users often want to contact a business after landing on a useful website and for that you need to display a Phone, email, link to a contact form or a Call button on every page of your website or in the header of the website. Users expect quick and easy way to contact a business and that’s why ‘Call-to-Action’ is extremely important.
- Link Pages internally – Link all the related pages of a website with each other as it creates relevancy for search engines and makes your content easy to discover by the search bots.
- Social Media Links – Link your website to all the major social media websites such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Linkedin. Insert the links of your social profiles at the bottom of your web pages to help people share your content among their group.
- Reliable and a Fast web hosting – Always purchase a website hosting which is reliable, fast and offers prompt support. A good web hosting offers latest web server scripts, better security and a fast database server to enable fast caching and delivery of your website’s content to the users.
How much does a Website Design Cost?
How Much Does a website design or building a business website cost? There’s no definitive answer to this question because website design purpose varies according to the industry, needs and complexity in design. But to give you a cost breakup of website design you can expect anywhere between $100 – $300 for a simple website but there are monthly subscription plans as well that you can opt for and cost of website design will be $15 to $29 per month. This does not include cost of a domain name. A common domain name costs between $10 – $30 annually.
If your requirements are large and you need a highly custom-built website then you need to speak with a web developer and cost could go upto $2000 – $5000 or more. For a simple website design all you need to do is pass on the basic information about your business to a web designer, book a domain name and web hosting and your website will be ready within few days.